Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Avoid Getting West Nile Virus

On a recent evening I was sitting on my beautiful, newly built deck with my sister and best friend gingerly passing the time laughing and having our usual girl talk. We were not outside more than 10 minutes before the mosquitoes starting hovering around. I am not usually prone to getting bitten, but I cannot say the same for my sister. Her body is like a magnet when it comes to those nasty, little creatures. Lately there has been much talk in the news about the dangers of West Nile and how it can be passed on to you by just one mosquito bite. I hear this and and want to use it as an excuse to skip my evening power walks, but I know I shouldn't let it stop me. I do inform myself though on what to do to avoid becoming a victim. It's important to remember to protect ourselves especially when we are outdoors and especially in the evening when it seems they are most rampant. As of today according to the national news there have been 41 deaths. More than half of them are accounted for here in Texas. According to the Center for Disease Control  we should abide by the 4 D's which are:
  • DEET and other insect repellents should be used.
  • DRESS in long sleeves and long pants.
  • DUSK & DAWN is when most mosquitoes are out so dress accordingly and take precautions.
  • DRAIN standing water.
It's important to keep our guard up, but it's also important to keep things in perspective. Most mosquitoes do not carry West Nile. According to the CDC 80% of people who get bitten don't get sick, 20% suffer only mild symptoms and only 1 person out 150 suffer severe illness. With that being said folks I am not going to let it stop me from enjoying my usual evening activities, but you can bet I will be looking for my can of mosquito repellent! Have a happy and healthy day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment