Monday, March 19, 2012

Whole Foods Market vs. H-E-B Central Market

Hi everyone! In case I've never mentioned this before I was born and raised in Houston, Texas. I lived there my entire life until 6 months ago when I moved to a small country town between the 3 big cities of San Antonio, Austin and Houston. One of the things I miss most about living in the big city though is having options! When you live in a big city there are a multitude of options in everything imaginable! There is every kind of pharmacy, doctor, restaurant, and shopping center available on every corner. Anyway, you get the picture, small towns leave a lot to be desired when it comes to options! Living here, the one big option I miss most is in grocery stores! It is hard to find specific products when you only have one or two small ones in town. Luckily, I visit Houston often enough since my 3 sons still live there which is when I get to indulge in a great grocery shopping experience! Here in Texas, we have two of my favorite grocery stores available, Whole Foods Market and H-E-B Central Market. Both of these stores are absolutely incredible when it comes to variety and fresh and healthy choices.  I have added the link to each one of the stores so you can visit and see for yourself the wide variety of choices they offer. Whole Foods Market was founded in Austin, Texas by four businesspeople who decided the time was right for the natural foods industry. The original market opened in 1980 with just 19 people staffing it at the beginning and it was an immediate success. After being in the grocery business for many years and having many successful H-E-B stores throughout Texas, the owner, Charles Butt developed the first H-E-B Central Market in 1994. Coincidentally, his store also started in Austin. His goal was to build a market that would turn the shopping experience into something enjoyable and unparalleled by carrying products never before offered in Texas. If you are on a special diet, such as gluten free, you will have no problem finding an abundance of products. If you want a special wine your head will spin with the selection they both offer! Both websites are full of wonderful cooking ideas, including mouth watering recipes accompanied by beautiful photos of each dish. They both offer newsletters you can sign up for and they both offer cooking classes you can register for. They each have a wonderful and informative blog available to read that keeps you posted on the latest cooking trends. Here are the links to each of their blogs so you can decide for yourself which you like best: Whole Story-the official Whole Foods Market blog and More Please! The Central Market Blog. They are both filled with great posts I thought you would be interested in reading. I personally tend to like the Whole Foods website more because I find it more attractive and informative. This does not necessarily mean the store is better, since they both have great things going for them. I have recently shopped in the newest Whole Foods in Houston on Waugh Dr. and have to admit I fell in love. The ambiance was wonderful, the salad and wine bar was fresh, and the selections were great. You will be paying more for your products though as I have discovered it's a bit pricier than your normal grocery store such as Kroger. For this reason, I cannot indulge shopping there often. I haven't made it to the new Central Market on Alabama St., but have heard great things and I do plan to visit soon to give it a test run! In the meantime, I hope this quick breakdown helps you visit two great websites that are chock full of tasty recipe ideas and fabulous, healthy products!

Have a happy week everyone, and remember Healthy Living Over 50 is so important and it's easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment