Monday, March 26, 2012

Good News For All You Popcorn Lovers!

Hi everyone! Recently I was talking to my best girlfriend, Mollie and I was explaining to her that I have gotten hooked on popcorn! I told her I used to be a potato chip kind of girl, but now I'm in love with popcorn. I was referring to the microwave kind that is real low in calories per bag, the mini portions. She was explaining to me that I needed to be careful because of the carb count and that I could easily pack on the pounds if I didn't watch it. She went on to say that if I am going to be eating popcorn every day, that I should at least invest in an air popper. That's all it took for me to make a beeline to my local Walmart to purchase exactly that! It has been the best little investment in my snack routine and today's news that came out all over the internet confirms that I made one of the best choices when it comes to snacking! According to a new study, popcorn may have fruits and vegetables beat when it comes to antioxidants. I would have never imagined this. The study suggests that one serving of popcorn has more antioxidants than a day's worth of fruits or vegetables in the average American diet. The study's author is a chemist by the name of Joe Vinson. He stated that popcorn may be the perfect snack food! According to Vinson this is because it is the only snack food that is 100 percent whole grain and whole grains have much more fiber than most vegetables and fruits. When something is labeled "whole grain" in America it only has to be 51% whole grain, therefore the more whole grains a food has the higher the health benefits. Antioxidants play a key role in protecting against cancer, heart disease and other diseases. In addition, they also help to combat free radicals produced by the body in response to things such as exposure to cigarette smoke and radiation.
As with any food you consume though, the key is to be careful not to cover it with unhealthy toppings such as salt, butter and oil. Get creative! Believe it or not, I love mine with Louisiana hot sauce, or tabasco sauce with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Delicious! You can also try cinnamon, curry powder or dill for an interesting taste combination. As with everything, eat it in moderation and do not use it to replace your broccoli and apples just yet, because those give you nutrients you can't get anywhere else. Instead, eat popcorn as a way of trading up on your snacking and doing away with the unhealthy ones you usually reach for!
Have a healthy week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment