Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Link Between Eye Health and Diet

I don't know about you, but as I get older I find I need to put my reading glasses on more often than not. I have finally gotten smart about it and have bought several at the local discount store just to keep a pair in every room readily available to me. Having good eyesight is something I have always boasted about.I usually have been told that I have 20/20 vision which is pretty good. Even now, I really only need glasses when reading up close. Eyesight is such an important topic as we age. My own sweet mother lost her vision completely by the time she was 80 years old due to glaucoma. This indirectly lead to her death a few years later when, unable to see clearly, she fell and broke a hip. Her mother lost her vision while in her 60's! But back in those days with money being scarce folks didn't visit the doctor often and health was a very low priority to them. This was very unfortunate and probably a lot of her vision loss could have been prevented. This is why at my age now I routinely have my vision checked especially for that dreaded disease of glaucoma. My understanding is that it is a highly hereditary illness but one that can be kept very much in check with modern medicine. My oldest sister who is in her early 60's has already had cataract surgery. This is scary and makes me hyper-vigilant when it comes to my eyesight. Eye disease is one of the most common reasons people become permanently disabled in the United States. My husband's cousin, who is in his mid 50's, recently became totally disabled due to losing his vision because of untreated diabetes. Millions of people over the age of 40 have cataracts and millions of folks over 60 years of age have macular degeneration. These eye diseases occur as we age and proper nutrition has a lot to do with both of them.
Cataracts develop on the lens of the eye when proteins we all have in the lens are damaged. These proteins help to keep our lens clear, but when they are damaged the lens becomes cloudy and opaque, causing blurry vision. Cataracts also cause poor night vision and may cause you to have double vision. Surgery is usually necessary to remove them and replace the damaged lens with an artificial one. Macular degeneration happens when the cells in the macula of the eye die. The macula is located in the center of the retina in the back of the eye and is responsible for keeping your vision sharp for reading and such. The problem is once the macula is damaged your vision is no longer clear and you are unable to make out the fine details in objects. There is no cure for this disease, but proper nutrition may help to prevent it from getting worse.

The nutrients that benefit eye health are vitamins C and E, carotenoids, beta carotene, lutein, omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, and vitamins B6, B9 (folic acid) and B12.
Here's a list of foods containing eye-healthy nutrients:
  • Fruits and vegetables (good sources of vitamins C and E)
  • Dark green vegetables such as kale and spinach (lutein, vitamin E)
  • Yellow and orange fruits and vegetables (beta carotene and zeaxanthin)
  • Anchovies, herring, mackerel, salmon, sardines, trout, tuna, and white fish (omega-3 fatty acids)
  • Beef, eggs, lamb, milk, peanuts, pork, and whole grains (zinc)
  • Bananas, chicken, dried beans, fish, liver, pork, and potatoes (vitamin B6)
  • Citrus fruits, fortified cereals, dried beans, green leafy vegetables, liver, mushrooms, nuts, and peas (folic acid)
  • Dairy products, eggs, meat, poultry, and shellfish (vitamin B12)
In researching this I found that a diet high in refined carbs, such as white rice, white bread, and pasta, may actually increase your risk of developing macular degeneration. These foods have a high glycemic index, which means they are broken down rapidly into blood glucose or sugar, so it is best for you to choose breads and pasta made from whole grains and brown rice for your complex carbohydrates.
Let's all take care of our vision! Life is too beautiful to miss even one minute of it. Have a happy, healthy day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment