Thursday, April 5, 2012

Your Smile Can Affect Your Appearance and Confidence!

Hi everyone!
Recently I went to the dentist for my yearly dental exam and cleaning. Much to my surprise I found out that I had two small cavities in my back molars! Now how could that be? I am such a fanatic about my teeth. Always making sure I brush diligently and that I floss daily. I thought I was pretty meticulous about by dental hygiene, yet I was told I had two small "places of concern" as the dentist described it. I quickly made an appointment to come back a week later to get them filled. I never had any pain in those two teeth, therefore I never had any inkling there was anything wrong. I have read that there are over 500 strains of bacteria in our mouth. It's no wonder then that we are susceptible to decay. Most of the bacteria is friendly and helps us to digest our food and ward off attack by the less friendly, disease-causing kind.  Bacteria like to prey on sugars and starches. They like to cling to our teeth and produce acids that eat through the enamel, eventually creating a cavity.

As "older" people many different factors put us at risk of developing gum disease, cavities and other dental problems.  Our fillings are usually old, we may be wearing ill-fitting dentures, we may be taking medications that reduce saliva flow which is the body's natural way to cleanse the mouth. Some chronic diseases are common in older folks such as diabetes which can increase our risk for periodontal disease. Arthritis is also common among older people which may prevent someone from having the flexibility needed to brush and floss correctly. Alzheimer's disease or dementia might  hinder someone from remembering about oral hygiene.  There are warning signs of gum disease. If you notice any you may consider visiting a dentist soon. Some of these warning signs include:
  • gums that bleed when you brush
  • red, swollen or tender gums
  • gums that have pulled away from the teeth
  • bad breath that doesn't go away
  • pus between your teeth and gums
  • loose teeth
  • a change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
  • a change in the fit of your dentures
Visiting your dentist at least twice a year is a good idea and may be critical to catching disease early. In addition to cleaning your teeth and checking for cavities, the dentist is often the first to detect any other issues you may have such as oral cancer, which occurs mainly in adults over 45 years of age.  How often you should see the dentist depends on different factors such as your health, medications, and the overall condition of your gums and teeth. Some folks might need to go every 3 months, some only once a year.  Another tip---replace your toothbrush often. You do not want to continue to use the same one for more than about 3-4 months because the bristles may no longer be effective in doing a good  job.
Stay healthy everyone and we can enjoy a life long past 50!

No comments:

Post a Comment