Monday, February 13, 2012

The Need for Vitamins -- all hype or half truth?

A subject that comes up real often among my girlfriends is regarding the necessity of taking vitamins. I'm talking about the kind you have to remember to take daily, not the kind that come naturally in your food. Many people, myself included, find that at times they are confused because of the vast amount of suggestions out there. For example, at first we heard that calcium was mandatory to bone health, then we heard that too much calcium in pill form could lead to health issues. Something about calcifications could break off and enter the bloodstream which could lead to possible strokes. I might have the story wrong, which proves my point! Obviously, we all need to be better educated regarding this issue. Most schools of thought are that if you eat a healthy diet and maintain an exercise routine, your body will function just fine without the additional pills. Unless you know you are deficient in something, then you are probably safe not swallowing any additional vitamins. Most of the friends I talk to though feel they are lacking in some areas and could use a boost. It could be their hair is thinning, their energy is low, their bones are brittle, their skin is losing elasticity, etc. The list is endless when you're over fifty! I have started a daily regimin of vitamins that include B12, D, Biotin, Chromium, Fish Oil, Black Currant Oil and a Probiotic for colon health. I usually get plenty of calcium from my diet. I started the Chromium and Black Currant Oil after seeing a segment on Dr. Oz. He stated that 500 mcg of GTF chromium per day would help your skin's elasticity (keeps wrinkles at bay) and that 500 mg 2x per day reduces thinning hair! I certainly need help in both those areas. According to Oz I should see improvement in 6-8 weeks...wish me luck! I would love to hear from you. Do you take vitamins? If so which ones and are you happy with the results? Do you know of anything else that we all could benefit from? Feel free to make comments...it's great to share ideas.




No comments:

Post a Comment