Monday, February 6, 2012

Weight Training 101 + Hi-Protein Lunch = Healthy!

I hit the gym today after being out of town for 4 days and to tell you the truth, I found it a bit difficult to regain my momentum! One thing I have learned during the last month is that to lose fat or change your body, one of the most important things you can do is lift weights! I am not saying diet and cardio are not just as important, but when it comes to changing how your body looks, weight training wins hands down. If you've hesitated to start a strength training program, it may motivate you to know that lifting weights can strengthen your bones, rev up your metabolism and make you stronger while increasing the endurance of your muscles. Weight training also plays a key role in avoiding injuries, increasing coordination and improving your confidence and self-esteeem! These all should be reasons enough to motivate you to immediately get up off the couch and find your running shoes!
Today, after 30 minutes of cardio I was able to do:
3 sets of 8 ------rowing (45lbs), pull down (60lbs), tricep press(20lbs)
3 sets of 8-------leg press (100lbs), leg extension (40lbs), leg curl (45lbs)
3 sets of 12-----back extension (40lbs), abdominal (30lbs)
3 sets of 8-------chest press (15lbs), shoulder press (15-20lbs)
3 sets of 10-------multi-hip(40lbs-for the outer leg), (20lbs-inner leg)

But most importantly!------I was able to complete 30 ab crunches! When I started I could not even do 3! This machine is very difficult because you have to use your own body strength to lift both sides.
This is an example of why slow and steady wins the race. Eventually your body builds up strength and endurance. I think I might finally be building up some strength in the ab area which I thought I had totally lost after having 4 children, 2 of which were twins!

***Great smoothie for lunch***
2 cups of Almond Milk (40 calories per cup)
1 scoop protein whey powder (100 calories)
4 frozen strawberries (20 calories)
1 small banana (80 calories)
4 chunks of frozen pineapple (20 calories)
sprinkle of cinnamon
Total 300 calories and loaded with protein!

The key is to keep going and not to give up. Go out and fun!
Have a great and healthy day everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment