Friday, January 20, 2012

Basic recommendations to get fit!

I am learning quite a bit every day about what I need to do personally to get fit. I know I have a long way to go to get where I would like to be, but if I don't get started it will never happen! You too should just decide to jump in if you would like to make a positive change in the condition of your health! Don't worry if you can only do 5 minutes worth, tomorrow try to do 6. Take baby steps if you have to, but don't give up! We can all be FIT AFTER 50! I have a great trainer named Stephanie here in Columbus and she is very supportive when I want to stop, encouraging without being pushy is the key! I will be sharing with you some fun facts that I am learning as I go along. 

Here are some basic recommendations from the American College of Sports Medicine:

Do moderately intense cardio 30 minutes a day, five days a week
OR
Do vigorously intense cardio 20 minutes a day, 3 days a week
AND
Do eight to 10 strength training exercises, 8-12 reps of exercise twice a week

Moderate-intensity physical activity means working hard enought to raise your heart rate and break a sweat, yet still being able to carry on a conversation. It should be noted that to lose weight aor maintain weight loss, 60 to 90 minutes of physical activity may be necessary. The 30-minute recommendation is for the average healthy adult to maintain  health and reduce the risk of chronic disease. Hope this helps you get motivated! Now get off the couch and move!

No comments:

Post a Comment