Monday, January 30, 2012

Life is Good! When Depression Sets in Go For a Walk!

Every night when I go to sleep I think of that day's blessings. There is so much to be grateful for and I try to always focus on the positive! Unfortunately, many folks out there can only dwell on the negatives in their life. They can't think of anything positive because they have too much pain in their body, are in too much financial trouble, have marital woes, etc. The list could be endless. What I have found since my journey began is how tremendously my mood has improved since I started focusing on a healthy routine of eating right and exercising daily. It is rare for me to feel depressed, stressed out or anxious.  From my research into this, the links between anxiety, depression and exercise aren't entirely clear — but working out can definitely help you relax and make you feel better!

Other benefits of exercise are:
  1. Gain confidence. Meeting exercise goals or challenges, even small ones, can boost your self-confidence. Getting in shape can also make you feel better about your appearance. This has started happening to me. It feels great to get those old jeans to button again!
  2. Get more social interaction. Exercise may give you the chance to meet or socialize with others. Just exchanging a friendly smile or greeting as you walk around your neighborhood or at the gym can help your mood. The folks here in Columbus are always super friendly!
  3. Take your mind off worries. Exercise is a distraction that can get you away from the cycle of negative thoughts that feed anxiety and depression.
  4. Cope in a positive way. Doing something positive to manage anxiety or depression is a healthy coping strategy. Trying to feel better by drinking alcohol, dwelling on how badly you feel, or hoping anxiety or depression will go away on its own can lead to worsening symptoms. So try to avoid those strategies and instead put your shoes on and go out for a long, brisk walk!
By the way, as of today I am 5lbs lighter! I accomplished this in 12 days by just eating healthy and focusing on exercise daily! I am not where I want to be, but definitely on the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment